Saturday 21 November 2015

Islam in Scotland


A GROWING number of Scots are converting to Islam - with the majority young women.

Glasgow Central Mosque alone is now seeing more than 200 Scots a year 'revert'. Due to the rising number of Scots finding Islam, mosques across the country are also setting up support groups for new 'reverts'. Many are fearful of abuse and intimidation.

Reversion is the preferred term within Islam for those who 'convert' - as Muslims believe everyone is born believing in Allah.


The Sunday Herald spoke to Hannah, a 25-year-old administrator from Glasgow who recently “reverted”. Hannah asked for her surname to be kept confidential. Though brought up without any particular faith, Hannah is one of a growing number of Scots who are turning to Islam despite what many see as a “demonisation” of the religion.

“I’d done a degree in comparative religion and had to analyse all the religious texts,” said Hannah. “I went away from that thinking that maybe I should be a Christian.

“But a few months later, while meditating, I found myself pulled in the direction of Islam. After that I started reading again, but this time in a more emotional way. I found I preferred the simplicity of Islam.”

No comments: